Monday, April 3, 2017

Entry #3 Slanted Reporting

I didn't even realize there was such thing as slanted reporting.  When researching it I was so surprised at all of the articles and videos I found on it.  The example of slanted reporting that I found that I liked best was, http://video.foxnews.com/v/4677434881001/?#sp=show-clips.  I think this is a really great example of how reporters and people that have a platform will take that as an opportunity to express their opinions on a serious topic.  In doing my research, I realize that almost all of the "slanted" articles I found were talking about something that has to do with politics. All of the examples in the video I provided are talking about politics in some type of way.  I think that it is very interesting the amount of slanted reporting there is in the media these days.  These people are trying to get a point across to the public, but using way too much opinion in doing so.  All of the sources that are mentioned in this video are very credible sources.  With that being said it is interesting that all of these examples were slanted and used the language they did.  When the reader is reading this type of writing they may never want to read something from this author again because they used their opinion too much.  

If someone is reading something that is supposed to be informative and unbiased, and they find something that is based in the article, they may never want to  read something from that source again.  Also, by putting opinions into this type of writing, it lowers the credibility of the source.  

I think that when you are a writer for a well known company and a credible source, it is important to keep your opinions out of it.  Slanted reporting is a big deal and negatively affects a lot of credible sources creating less viewers.  Happy blogging :)

1 comment:

  1. I also had no idea what slanted reporting was until it was brought up in class. Now that I do I am hyperaware of everything I read on the internet. I like the point you brought up about audiences being upset by a source and straying from it in the future. This to me shows just how important it is to keep your audience in mind as a writer. I also wrote about a report from Fox News. For an outlet that is so readily available, it seems to take advantage of that often.

    ReplyDelete

Entry #11 Farewell

Well... This could potentially be my last blog ever.  I am going to tell you all about my blogging experience.  I am finally at the end of m...