| Organic vs. Non-Organic | |
| Organic produce: | Conventionally-grown produce: |
| Grown with natural fertilizers (manure, compost). | Grown with synthetic or chemical fertilizers. |
| Weeds are controlled naturally (crop rotation, hand weeding, mulching, and tilling). | Weeds are controlled with chemical herbicides. |
| Pests are controlled using natural methods (birds, insects, traps) and naturally-derived pesticides. | Pests are controlled with synthetic pesticides |
| Organic meat, dairy, eggs: | Conventionally-raised meat, dairy, eggs |
| Livestock are given all organic, hormone- and GMO-free feed. | Livestock are given growth hormones for faster growth, as well as non-organic, GMO feed. |
| Disease is prevented with natural methods such as clean housing, rotational grazing, and healthy diet. | Antibiotics and medications are used to prevent livestock disease. |
| Livestock must have access to the outdoors. | Livestock may or may not have access to the outdoors. |
I found this chart on the website I mentioned earlier and I found it to be very interesting. I didn't realize all the harsh chemicals that are used in non-organic farming. Also, I was aware of what animals went through when they are not organically raised, but seeing this chart made it so much more real. It's horrible that we eat out of animals that are pumped with antibiotics, grow hormones, and are fed non-organic, GMO feed.
After reading more into organic food and why it is so important, my opinion on it has changed drastically. I think it is important to know what you are putting into your body, and clearly, I was unaware. There are millions of things to learn about organic foods and this is only a bit of the information I found. I hope I swayed you to research more into what you're actually eating before you eat certain things next time! Happy blogging. :)

I absolutely love the information you have provided. Although I do agree about the prices about organic foods. I think the best place to find organic foods is Sprouts. Usually they are always having sales on their produce and meats.
ReplyDeleteAlthough the words like hormones and GMO's have negative connotations to them, there has been no conclusive study that has proven that they are harmful to humans; however, if you or others characterize the "harsh" treatment of animals then organic may seem like a better alternative. In your blog, you also mentioned price. In the consumer culture that has been attached to America, you get what you pay for. If you want you animal to get more care then you pay for that care.
ReplyDelete